A New Direction

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Guilty by Association

George Bush and the last 6 years of his presidency are what got me into politics, or at least knowing about what is going on in Washington and around the world. All of it made me politically opinionated on the things I care to be opinionated about. During Bush v. Gore in 2000 I sat on the fence -not caring, not understanding- and while I sat on the Gore side of the room during our Gov't/Econ class debate it was hard for me to see a difference between the two. Not being able to vote was also a reason, but what had a bigger influence in my attentiveness to the candidates was the booming economy and where I sat in life. In short, I had a pretty cozy middle class life. I knew there were problems and issues that needed to be dealt with but that was for when I entered the real world. Social security what? I reckon most 17 year old kids don't care. We were just mad it took money from our paycheck.

Enter Bush, 9-11, the short war and long occupation and everything else that has come to pass. Bush had his campaign, somehow got into office and completely flip flopped on just about everything. Now whenever I hear a politician speak, particularly a republican, I honestly cannot take him or her seriously. From when I started paying attention, what would cause me to believe in a single word they say? Lies have destroyed any meaning words might have. Nothing is taken seriously, and this is only reinforced by right wing talking points, presidential "debates" and bullshit pundits who are seemingly paid to be wrong.

Now it's all starting to spill over in the general field of all politicians. There is the meme that all politicians are corrupt, immoral, unethical, cheaters and liars. Ya can't trust 'em! Almost every night I watch the daily show and laugh at the bits where they take a soundbite of what someone said today and compare it with what they said whatever period of time ago, jesting all the way (tonight's was an EPA director claiming it was OK for ground zero workers to be at the site, and now she is saying she never said that - serious implications here!). I can't help but be cynical as hell when I hear any politician (read: candidate running for President) asking for my vote, err, money, or making claims about what they will do on any number of issues.

Two things have maybe brought this line of thinking about: capitulation to Iraq occupation funding. There was such high hope for real and immediate change after November 2006 and its still: "wait until January," "wait until June," "wait until SEPTEMBER," and I can see the machine gearing up for the new talking point "wait until -insert future date here-." The other reason is that, just about, only one guy in congress seems to care about my #1 issue, while the rest yak about our god given right to cheap petrol and unlimited driving. In the end, if they aren't going to concern themselves and the country with what I and a small but growing group of people believe to be the most pressing issue over the next 20+ years, why give them the time of day?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home