A New Direction

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Circa 1999

8 years ago I was in high school and making plans for the weekend was done by dialing your friends on your parents house phone a few days in advance. Less than 3 years ago I got my first mobile and phone service -years after everyone else- and caught up to the "revolution" and new way of communicating. Plans were able to be made on a whim and in an instant no matter where you were! The mobile became a permanent resident of your pocket (or handbag) along with your wallet and keys. Can't leave home with out it - never minding that you left home without one until you actually got one.

When I come back to the US I keep struggling with the decision on whether or not to go back and get a new service. I've gone as long as 2 months in between not having a mobile and while sometimes it's annoying it's not all together inconvenient. Except, now that everyone has a phone, it is assumed that I am like the rest of the masses. Plans are still made on a whim, but when I am unreachable 75% of the day, I usually miss out on whatever my friends end up doing. And on some days, I've gotten calls and then have had to end up waiting by the phone for the rest of the day for a follow up call (and sometimes they don't even come)! On the one hand it's nice to not shell out 40 some bucks or more (and all those bloody start-up fees!) each month for a device that has for the most part lessened our ability to communicate as a society and also to not feel locked to yet another electronic gadget. On the other, I need to stop being a Luddite and re-enter the mobile world. It's time to cave in (again) and get mobile service. Good bye 1990s!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home