A New Direction

Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Following Week

Monday found me at work conversing with colleagues trying to piece together the previous Friday night. It took quite a long time =) After work I headed back up to Watson's bay for dinner with Ethan and his colleagues. The following is what I love: E told me to show up at 8PM. I arrived, knocking at the door at 7:59 with another girl invited to the dinner. I timed the buses perfectly! A few hours later I was speaking and listening to French, talking to people from Venezuela, Italy, Mexico, Australia and the US. Us francophones were probably the majority, with about 5 of the 14 of us there. Many beers and a giant meal later and I was on my way home via bus from good international conversation with people from 4 differnt continents. I love it. Monday night reminded me so much of London, yet so different because it is Sydney. I am coming to realise that i am having a much different experience here than in London. I'll post more on that later.

Tuesday night I was pretty tired and wound up on my bed most of the night. I got a random phone call and 20 minutes later was meeting my friend from Vancouver, Barez, at a delicious Vietnamese Restaurant. Hold on, I have to go get some more Wine. OK, killed the bottle. I had Pho soup for the first time. I don't think this is has reached the US because I never see it at the Vietnamese Restaurants when I go. It's nothing more than glorified ramen when they bring it to you, but after that they bring piles of vegetables and sauces you dish in and wow, is it good stuff. Cheap as chips too.

Most of the rest of the week is a blur except for going out for Mexican food, which is a novelty thing down here = expensive and not much for your money. It makes Chipotle look like the real deal. I miss Pepitos and Lake st. but am inspired to start making my own Mexican food at home.

It is Saturday night, and I have obviously just had a bottle of wine. I'm not out getting crazy because I am getting tired of it (only took a year and a half of drinking...). I went surfing today and that is just such a much better use of my time. Adam, you are reading this: we are going surfing at Bondi when you first arrive. I can't wait to show you Sydney like you and I can't wait to show people London. I can barely stand up at the moment but am completely hooked on surfing, and I don't think there is a metropolitan city more suited for the surfer lifestyle.

On the way home from Bondi today, Ethan, his colleague Gian (John?) Carlo and I had a long conversation on LEED certification, the moral responsibilty of architects and sustainable design. Sweetas. (I hope you are enjoying my incorporation of Aussie and Kiwi lingo into my posts). I need to stop typing in the blog.

1 Comments:

  • At 28 December, 2006 21:33, Blogger Adam said…

    Eric, I cannot wait to see Sydney! I am getting extremely excited. I really want to try surfing, although I hear I will need a massive board. Anyway, I get in February 1st...be ready!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home