A New Direction

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Wombats Poop Out Cubes

Hello! I've just spent the last week dominating the overland track. Those 6 days and 7 nights of 100+ kilometers, 2 mountains, 2 gaps, eating off a small camp fuel stove, sleeping in below freezing temps on hard ground or wood planks, fending off possums from my food, getting freaked out by large tiger snakes and rubbing ointment on obscene looking blisters have been some of the best ever. I'm having trouble grasping that I have actually just completed the track. I've also had trouble describing what I saw and how I felt sitting on top of mountains and tramping across windswept alpine plains. Dumbstruck awe is what it would be I suppose. The bus spat me back out into civilisation the other day and I sat on the footpath scratching my head wondering where I go (to the hostel ofcourse) and what do I do now that I don't have to wake up at 7.30, pack up camp and start trekking through the bush. Last couple days have been quite lazy and I've been indulging into all the "good and bad" things of modern society: BBQ chicken pizza, light past 20.15, fish and chips, long hot showers, bed, coke, refrigerators, the Internets et al. Now that I've had my shower and clean clothes, I want nothing more to be thrown back out into the wilderness on my own. I've found something new that I enjoy very much and while the memories of this most recent adventure fade after being catalogued by my brain, I can only start to plan and prepare (or not prepare - did you hear about the guy that did the Overland Track without a sleeping bag?!) for the next one. Maybe the Milford Track, or the Misty Mountains, or the Appalaichan Trail, or, or, or. I ate tuna and pasta 5 nights in a row and every night it tasted better than the last.

I'm an idiot. I forgot about two hidden straps at the bottom of my pack that make it so my incredibly heavy pack doesn't kill my shoulders. So you might say the track dominated me, but I ultimate conquered. I remembered those straps for my last 11 km section of the track. Live and learn and then keep going. And I'll keep going to Adelaide.

3 Comments:

  • At 13 March, 2007 22:00, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds crazy man. Glad you're alive and didn't have to cut your arm off because it got caught under a boulder.

    You know just earlier this week someone changed their 1Q forecast and then I had to update all my templates just 45 minutes before my review. I pulled it off but it was close. So if you want to compare war stories just let me know.

     
  • At 13 March, 2007 22:51, Blogger 1234 said…

    I suppose I was wondering how the big gay party was going... =)

    That sounds like quite an adventure! Hope the bed bugs aren't biting (oh wait, what bed...).

     
  • At 27 March, 2007 09:24, Blogger Fleepy said…

    Cubes?

    Well done remembering the waist strap at long last! That you made it so far without it is stunning and impressive. And silly. You must have some rippling (or more rippling than before) shoulder muscles now!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home