A New Direction

Monday, January 16, 2006

Almost one month

Not too much to say since my last post on London life so I will keep this one shorter. On the 12th my best friend Ben from Boston (as how I usually refer to him) flew into London in the wee hours of the morning to spend a month backpacking around Europe. He and his girlfriend stayed in my flat for the weekend while I showed them around London and pretty much made their 4 days in one of the most expensive cities in the world as cheap as possible. I think we did quite well considering we (3 people) made our own Indian food for 7 quid one night and didn’t spend more than 13 quid on beer for the weekend. They are now in Edinburgh and are making a big figure 8 around western Europe.

This gets me thinking about my own travels that I have yet to plan. There are times where I spend an hour or two reading guide books and looking at maps discovering new places I want to go see. Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Latvia, St Petersburg, the Austrian Tyrol, Croatia and Slovenia are all countries I’d like to get to. So there is at least one New Years resolution.

I’ve been extremely lazy on the job search, but I at least have an interview at a travel company on Tuesday. Sounds promising so I’m hoping to be at work by the 18th, making it just shy of one month of being unemployed and the second January in a row of being unemployed.

The other day I saw a blind guy using the tube. Think about it. I can barely use the tube with full sight, this guy was doing it with no sight and a walking/blind guy cane. As he stepped on the train he started walking right at me. I think he wanted to stand where I was so I got out of the way and attempted to help him get into place before the train started moving. When I did that he kinda freaked out, and when others would offer him their seats he made funny/frightening noises. Nonetheless I was impressed with his ability to navigate a large-scale rail network with no vision.

I’ve only been offered drugs once so far.

I finally met my 4th flatmate, Rhitik and he seems normal. He’s on the late night student’s schedule and not the 9-5 professional schedule so I hardly see him.

I randomly bumped into a friend from secondary school outside St. Paul’s cathedral the other day which is incredibly and amazingly random. It’s fate I guess. Even though I knew that she would be here for spring semester, I had no idea when or where, so seeing her then was extremely lucky!

One last thing: I found the Sunday Ultimate games! I play every weekend in Hyde Park (first time this weekend) and the people I play with want to get me on a team for the winter league championships, which is in a few weeks. So, I have met a number of new people and that is always a hard thing for me to do, and for anyone to do in London.

I will leave it at that and wish you all a good week (it is Monday afternoon as I type this).

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home