A New Direction

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A new direction for my blog

I am no longer "homeless" but am still unemployed and I expect to be until the new year. Don't have a lot of time to update so expect a big long entry to read in about a weeks time, after I get back from Edinburgh. For now, I'll say that things are going well enough. I am sitting next to Badam at the internet cafe right now. A little homesick over christmas but I made some friends so that I had a fun time during Christmas. Worst christmas dinner ever though. It was pretty much juice, bread meat and cheese. From an offy, yum.

Anyways, my flat is umm, tiny. Thus my room is somewhat less than tiny. I'd put the sq. footage around 50ish or so. My flatmates seem nicec enough, though Ive only met one of them...so I guess that last sentence didnt really matter! More to come on all this stuff later.

I am going to start posting about all the weird little nuances between british and american life. or rather american and london life. london is inherently different than england. I hear less English spoken in London than most of Europe it seems. Or, most of the commercials on tv are about texting "song 1" to 84888 to get the poly ringtones frrom sean jean or whatever stupid thing for your mobile. MTV dance is annoying and plays bad music. British like the worst American movies. And so on. I could call this a "reflection on london culture" but its pretty much just anecdotal sentencecs arranged in paragraphs about all the funny things brits/londoners do.

For example, remember in that movie with eddie murphy and dan akroyd called trading places? Eddie murphy dressed up as a guy from cameroon and kept saying merry new year and happy christmas. It always saounded funny, but people really do say "Happy Christmas" here!!! It's weird!!! Thats the kind of stuff Im gonna post in here from now on, along with random bits of my life.

Happy Christmas!
Joyeux Noelle
Felice Natale (portugeuse(sp?)) - hey kopietzzzz, i know some portuguese now.
Felicee Navidad

and Merry New Year

4 Comments:

  • At 27 December, 2005 20:46, Blogger makeisweet said…

    And a Merry New Year to you too! Yea, people overseas are weird about being distinctly against America and yet love American shows and movies and such.

     
  • At 28 December, 2005 12:56, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Try not to get too tipsy over the New Year's Holiday. You don't want to go into political rants, or even worse, start doling out recipes for obscure dishes that include onions and insist that they be recorded for all time on a Cuzzy's napkin.
    ~N

     
  • At 28 December, 2005 14:27, Blogger Eric said…

    my goal is to find out exactly why that is. i think (for an initial theory) you may be equating "love" with "can learn english from" for american movies and music, etc, etc.

    on the other hand, please xplain the link between american entertainment and say, american foreign policy, environmental policy, energy policy, fiscal policy policy policy policy?

    example: i hate hitler but think volkswagen is pretty sweet. (nowhere near volvo, however).

     
  • At 03 January, 2006 20:17, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Eric-

    Glad to hear that you are settling in and re-adjusting to British life. Hope you had a good new year and kept everything under control =)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home