A New Direction

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Why Me?

Location: McCarthy Gym, South Campus, University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, Minnesota
Time: 17:30
Date: Friday, November 18, 2005

This time around, I converse with the cute desk clerk without making an idiot of myself, or so I thought. Little did I know how that would change. I see my friends in the pool, give a wave and head to the locker room to change. Immediately upon entering, a naked old guy runs up to me from behind the lockers, stands less than a foot away from me and starts talking to me. How did I know he was naked? Because he asked me to do this favor: "Hey buddy I think someone took my towl on accident, can you go out and get me another one?" First question that comes into my mind - why are old people so comfortable with nudity? Second - do I really have to? OK.... Third - where are the towls anyways?

I go outside to tell cutedeskgirl what just happened and what I need. She gives odd/awkward look and points to my left. The towls are bundled and wrapped in plastic. I pull a bundle of about 30 or so towls and set it on the table as thoughts of exasperation already go through my head. Now let me tell you, this is some tricky plastic. I struggle withit for a minute or two before I get one side ripped open. I try pulling out one individual towl, but even pulling on just one towl brings another 7 or so with it. Cutedeskgirl asks if I am having any problems (it obviously appears that way and is probably true) but I say "nope, think I got 'em" and pull out about 6 towls, walk by in almost complete awkwardness and go back into the locker rooms. I hand them to the old guy noting that I may have taken more than one. He said he would give the others back to the clerk. -Please do- After this strange task I change, join my friends, swim, sauna it up and go home.

Turns out towls are a dollar a piece to use.

Now I am on my way back for my swim tonight rather than Friday because of the Holiday. I'm going for the Hat Trick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home