A New Direction

Friday, October 21, 2005

Recent running observations

So for the last two weeks, I have went running probably 11 of the last 14 days. 2 of the 3 days I didn't run I rode my bike to work and didn't feel the need to run. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's the new shoes, but the last two weeks of running have been awesome. All this summer since getting over some wicked shin splints at the end of May I had a slew of problems: EICS, breathing, more shin splints, just not being able to run far, cramps/side aches, sore joints. It would always be one thing. If it went away another problem appeared. Maybe I still have EICS and just am used to it or is now less severe....I dunno. Each time I go out, the distance covered is at least 2.5 miles and sometime around 4. I think on Saturday I will shoot for close to six if I can go around the lakes. For some that is a walk in the park but for my poorly designed body, most impressive I must say. The thing is when I stop I still feel like I could go on and on. There is no fatigue, sore-achey body feel I used to get when running this summer. I also am finding a rythm much quicker from the start. It used to take a good mile or so to get into the "zone" but now I get in stride in just a few blocks. Heavy breathing at the start quickly turns to normal exercise breaths that don't strain my lungs. But I still eat like shit. Perhaps I've discovered a routine or pathway to good running habits: take it slow, don't push yourself too hard, one can always go further the next day. I still and probably always will believe my body was made for swimming and cycling, but I hope running keeps getting easier. It's probably about all I will be able to do in London.

1 Comments:

  • At 21 October, 2005 19:01, Blogger Eric said…

    yeah, i will probably buy one. something cheap and disposable though... plus i will have the tube and sweet bus system. london isnt very bike friendly unfortunately.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home